In church today--I know, all my entries seem to be church inspired--Rob talked about the season of Lent as being in tune with the rhythms of creation. That when the world is dead and everything sleeps, we should pause and slow down too. It's supposed to be a time where we can reflect on the deadness of things, to immerse our thoughts in the darkness and deadness and what it means for our lives so that when Resurrection Sunday comes, the joy will be all the greater. It seems so very logical, like, "Oh, of course that's how it's supposed to go." But then why does it seem like we don't allow ourselves to slow down, or that the people who have control over our time and effort don't give us permission to slow down. Even at my Christian college, I can tell you that I am just as busy right now as I am the rest of the year; shouldn't this Christian institution be more in tune with the season of Lent?
Why aren't we?
This theme is a vein that runs through the Christian life. I was talking with a friend today who's having a rough time because life seems to be telling him he can either support himself and get his education or he can do what he wants to do (which his education will help him with), and it's the most frustrating thing in the world. I asked him if he was praying. His automatic reaction: no, but I should be. Isn't this how it always is for us as believers? We know the best course of action, and we don't take it. We offer up excuses like, "I'm so busy I just didn't even think of it..." or "I don't have time to sit down and pray. Life's just too crazy right now. Maybe when things slow down..." And of course, then we realize how that's not a reason, it's a justification, an excuse and it's just making it worse. We ALL do this. For every problem and every difficult situation, even for the wonderful situation. We tend to write Christ out of our lives due to busyness or momentary happiness or frustration--name your emotion of choice. There is something so ironic about this:
The One who could actually help us, support us, listen to us, and stand with us is the first one we cross off our list of people to go to. We are so very stubborn, so very blind in a very intentional manner. It makes it all that more amazing that our Creator doesn't get fed up with us and say, "Well if you're going to ignore me, then I'm just going to sit back and watch you crash and burn or run yourself into the ground." He stays there, right beside us, walks right next to us, and patiently waits for us to turn and realize, "Oh! You've been there the whole time? How did I not see you? And I could have asked you for help? Well that makes me an idiot. Will you help me now?" How loved are we that our Creator puts up with our blockheaded-ness, never once leaving us to weather life alone, especially when we continue to make it harder for ourselves by ignoring Him? There are not proper adverbs for how loved we are, no adequate words. His love and devotion are ineffable.
"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever." -Psalm 136:1
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment